RVMS Mission Statement
The mission of Roslindale Village Main Street (RVMS) is to promote Roslindale Village as an appealing destination and the dynamic center of our community. As a nonprofit organization, we bring together local volunteers, businesses and public agencies to strengthen the Village’s economic vitality, physical appearance and unique local character.
The Roslindale Farmers Market (RVMS FM) formed to celebrate our locale and region by providing a unique gathering place for our residents to access healthy and affordable foods grown by local farmers, alongside local prepared foods, crafts, music and programs provided by Roslindale entrepreneurs, entertainers and educators. We hope to work side by side with vendors and farmers to promote and encourage environmentally sustainable practices and a spirit of having a small footprint through use of and maintenance of the market and its community space.
RVMS is seeking a market manager to attend each weekly market on Saturdays, help promote the market, and keep accurate records of market activities. The market manager is the “go-to” person for vendors, consumers, and entertainers during market hours.
Each Saturday, the manager will be at the market from 8:15 am to 3:00 pm to set up the RVMS table and assist vendors, oversee the RVMS area and market generally, and clean up/break down. Other responsibilities involve the managing of the children’s area and other entertainment, welcoming and greeting customers, and actively working to expand our contact list at the market.
Training on the in-office and pre-season aspects of the market will occur in late October – early November, while most responsibilities will begin on the first day of Winter Farmers Market on Saturday, January 9th.
- Recruit volunteers – ensure that there will be 1-2 volunteers to assist at the market each week.
- Collect payments from accepted vendors.
- Assist Farmers Market Committee with outreach, merchandise orders, and any other issues on a limited basis. Attend committee meetings if possible once per month.
GENERAL MARKET SUPPORT
- Must be willing and able to work outdoors and to safely lift and carry 50 pounds.
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with RVMS staff and volunteers, market farmers and vendors, Sons of Italy staff, consumers, and community members.
- Assists vendors, community representatives, and consumers by providing market-related information, conflict resolution, and general aid as appropriate.
- Reviews and enforces market rules and policies.
- Establishes a consistent space to set up and operate the market manager’s table.
- Arrives at 8:15 am for market set-up and stays until break down is finished, around 3:00 pm
- Places directional signs promoting the market around the community at key locations prior to opening on each market day, and removes those signs at the close of market.
- Operation of the market manager’s table:
- Setting up the table each week
- Displaying and distributing promotional materials for RVMS.
- Conducting SNAP/Boston Bounty Bucks transactions and issuing reimbursements to vendors at the end of market day.
- Displaying and selling RVMS merchandise. Maintaining written record of merchandise sales.
- Returns RVMS tables and other equipment to RVMS annex or office after market.
- Assists with restoring the Sons of Italy’s layout of tables, and cleaning up (sweeping, mopping) as necessary.
- Maintains a written record of SNAP/BBB transactions and weekly vendor reimbursements.
- The Market Manager should spend approximately 3 hours weekly on administrative tasks for the market:
- Fill out Bounty Bucks logs to submit to BCFF
- Count merchandise sales; cash out and record sales in spreadsheet
- Create weekly vendor map
- Send weekly vendor email
- Confirm entertainment for each week
- Make sure any checks for vendors and entertainers are ready for the market
- Respond to any vendor/community problems or questions that arise.
For questions, contact Christina DiLisio at 617.327.4065 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.