Roslindale Village Main Street (RVMS) follows the operating principles of the National Main Streets Center, a national movement serving a network of more than 2,000 communities across the U.S. RVMS was established in 1985 as one of the first urban Main Street Programs in the nation, with the help of then City Councilor Thomas M. Menino and the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The RVMS office, in the heart of the Roslindale Village business district, is managed by two fulltime staff who work alongside the RVMS Board of Directors, numerous volunteers, and community leaders to promote local empowerment and to celebrate our unique commercial district.
RVMS is seeking a Part Time Office Assistant -- a rewarding position that allows the person to become intimately familiar with a community and gain a working knowledge of how a small non-profit functions and enacts their mission. Working alongside the Project Manager (PM) and the Executive Director (ED), the Office Assistant will gain skills in: public relations, communications, event planning, community building, urban planning, non-profit leadership/administration, database management, and volunteer coordination. Additionally, the Office Assistant will have the opportunity to form relationships with many RVMS partners, including business owners, property owners, elected officials, city staff, community leaders, and Roslindale residents.
The work of the Office Assistant changes from day-to-day and may occasionally comprise adhoc projects, but it typically falls within these categories:
- Welcome in-office visitors and answer general questions (whether via email or over the phone) about the community of Roslindale Village and the Roslindale Village Main Street organization
- Provide in-office assistance with database management (DonorSnap), knowledge management, financial management, and merchandise inventory management
Marketing and Promotions
- Support the creation of new, or improved, outreach materials and informational materials
- Coordinate with office staff, volunteers, business owners, and other stakeholders to spread interest in local events and local merchants through a range of tools (e.g. printed material, word-of-mouth campaigns, advertising, cross-promotions, programs, and campaigns)
Outreach and Communications
- Support the development of web content, social media posts, e-newsletter articles, and informational flyers and/or brochures
- Assist local business with access to resources and information
- Help manage the RVMS yearly fundraiser as well as provide light support to other regular events like the RVMS Farmers Market
- Very strong organizational skills with an attention to detail and polished timemanagement habits
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- A demonstrated history of showing initiative and follow through
- An interest in working in diverse communities and local politics
- A Bachelor’s degree or two years of relevant experience in related fields
- Experience in web-based applications (Word Press) and MS Office applications (including Excel)
This is a paid position of 15 - 20 hours per week with an opportunity for flexible in-office hours. The position is available starting September 14th, 2015. Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com or to 2A Corinth Street, Roslindale, MA 02131.