Prescott Building in Heart of Roslindale Village Now Available
The Prescott Building has a long history in Roslindale, and was most recently the site of the Jerusalem Trading business. The first floor (~5,000 square feet) is available for rent. Roslindale Village Main Street sees the potential of this building to be the site of something wonderful for our neighborhood and reached out to the landlord to host an Open House and bring people together to collaborate and invest in Roslindale.
Join us for an Open House:
17 Poplar Street, Roslindale, MA 02131
Saturday, February 11th, from 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Hosted by Roslindale Village Main Street. Sign up on our Facebook event.
Background on this building
Historic Boston Incorporated (HBI) shared this information about the Prescott Building:
"Located on Poplar Street, facing Adams Park, the Prescott Building is a highly visible building in Roslindale Square. The Prescott Building was built in 1929, during the boom days of Roslindale’s development. The large two story brick commercial building replaced earlier wood frame buildings that stood on Poplar Street. Building records show that a one story wood store building was constructed on this site in 1895. In 1929, Anne Prescott petitioned the city to raze a 1 ½ story building occupied by a store and a dwelling on this location. To design the current building, Prescott hired Harold Duffie, a prolific architect that mostly designed residential homes and was particularly active in the Woodbourne and Forest Hills neighborhood. In the early 1930s, Prescott filed a permit to include an indoor miniature golf course in this building. Other long term uses included Charlestown Savings Bank, a beauty salon on the second floor, and Blair’s Foodland, for which a small 1 story rear addition was built in 1946. The building’s storefront has been altered several times."