Revitalizing Poplar Street
Let's work together to enhance the sidewalk across from Adams Park: encourage foot traffic, provide community gathering space, and benefit local business. View our Patronicity Campaign for more info and a video!
With this campaign, we aim to improve and beautify the Poplar Street sidewalk that runs alongside Adams Park in the heart of Roslindale Village. This project will boost pedestrian and retail traffic, enhance green space, create a place for people to meet, and better link this stretch of Poplar Street to Adams Park. This initiative is possible with the generous support of the Boston Main Streets Foundation and MassDevelopment, the state’s economic development and finance agency. Roslindale Village Main Street (RVMS) intends to raise $25,000 in support of this highly visible initiative. With your help we can reach this goal! If we do, MassDevelopment will match our funds with an additional $25,000 and the Boston Main Streets Foundation will contribute $5,000 toward this important project.
Through the tireless efforts of residents, business partners, and Roslindale Village Main Street, Roslindale’s Main Street district has become the bustling, vibrant, heart of the neighborhood. These efforts have been so successful that The Boston Globe Magazine frequently cites Roslindale as one of the city’s best neighborhoods in which to live.
While many blocks in Roslindale have benefited from numerous improvement projects, the Poplar Street stretch of sidewalk between South and Corinth Streets, across from Adams Park suffers from neglect and fails to serve as an attractive pedestrian way. It’s poorly lit at night. It lacks impact and flare during the day. This project will remedy these problems.
This initiative will brighten Poplar Street, add attractive design elements, and make other material improvements. Such enhancements to this popular thoroughfare will draw increased foot traffic to local businesses, and instill a sense of community pride among the people of Roslindale. This project will also link Poplar Street to Adams Park, adding needed space for people to gather and interact during community events at the park, such as the weekly Farmers’ Market.
What We Plan To Do
With funds from this campaign, Roslindale Village Main Street will implement the following improvements*:
- Work with local artists to paint sidewalk murals to beautify the street.
- Add seating that will encourage people to rest, eat, converse, and mingle.
- Add planters to sidewalks and seating areas in order to create a more pleasant and beautiful environment.
- Place bicycle racks to support increased bicycle traffic and reduce parking needs.
- Install new recycling and trash containers to reduce litter.
- Install decorative lighting to better illuminate the sidewalk at night.
- Add lighting and improved wayfinding to the informational kiosk.
*These improvements are subject to review and approval by the relevant city departments.
How You Can Help
Our friends, neighbors, and local businesses make Roslindale great. This project will make Roslindale a wonderful place to visit and an even better place to live. Here’s how you can help:
- Donate: this project will only succeed with your financial support. Every dollar you donate will be matched with $1.20 by MassDev and Boston Main Streets if we reach our goal!
- Spread the word: tell friends and neighbors about this campaign. Share it on social media.
- Volunteer: Roslindale Village Main Street flourishes thanks to the hard work of our friends, neighbors, and business partners who donate their time. Contact us to find out how you can help.