Roslindale Village Main Streets is part of Boston Main Streets, which falls under the Mayor's Office of Economic Development. In 2016, the City released its first ever Small Business Plan which identified the top needs of Boston's small businesses, as well as opportunities to create strategies to meet those needs.
If you own a business or are looking to start a business in Roslindale, please take a look at the tools offered by the Mayor's Office of Small Business Development. Through the City’s online resource, the Office of Small Business Development can connect you with the right people or appropriate city agencies and provide assistance with permitting, licensing, or other needs your business might have.
To request assistance and learn more, please call our Neighborhood Business Manager Deeqo Jibril at (617) 635-0313 or visit the City's Office of Small Business Development website. If you need extra assistance, RVMS can connect you with the right people in City Hall, potentially facilitating a response to a question or concern.
On-Site Business Assistance
The City of Boston offers the following services for small businesses:
- Financial management: assistance setting up books and tracking finances
- Business planning and growth
- Marketing and customer experience
- Legal consulting: HR and contract assistance
- Operations consulting--inventory management, POS systems, etc.
- Energy Saving tools
Examples of businesses assisted:
- Accessories business with in-store and online sales that implemented a business growth plan with their team. Sales on track to double in two years.
- Hair salon that improved their customer retention through better communication tools and branding.
- New restaurant owner who improved his financial management to better track his expenses and revenue.
More Helpful Information
Here are some convenient phone numbers, contacts, and tools so businesses can get in touch with the City quickly about these kinds of issues:
- If you are looking to open a business in Roslindale and have a question about permits or licensing within a Main Street District, call Deeqo Jibril, our Neighborhood Business Manager, at 617 635-0293 or emailing email@example.com.
- Dial 3-1-1: 311 is an easy-to-remember telephone number that connects you with trained Constituent Service Center representatives who are ready to help you with requests for non-emergency City services and information. This phone line is open 24/7, 365 days a week. Or, download the 311 App for your smartphone and start taking photos of neighborhood problems and send them directly to the Public Works database.
- Office of Neighborhood Services (ONS): The ONS staff schedules and attends community meetings, assists residents and businesses with City services, shares important information directly with neighborhoods, and helps the City respond to emergencies. The Roslindale Neighborhood Liaison is Joseph Coppinger and you can contact him by calling (617) 635-3307 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- District 5 City Councilor Tim McCarthy’s office: (617) 635-4210
- E-5 Boston Police Department: (617) 343-4560
Looking to start a business in Roslindale? Be sure to read the community demographics reports we have on hand.